Shop Independent this Independence Day in Downtown Frederick
First Saturday has always been a celebration of the unique shops, restaurants and small businesses that are the heartbeat of Downtown Frederick — but this July, after more than three months of state-mandated shutdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Partnership is taking First Saturday to a place it’s never been before — expanding this regularly 1-day event to 4 days of fun.
As the spread of COVID-19 is still a very real threat for our communities, there will be many different ways that people can participate in First Saturday activities — both from home and in-person.
Approximately 80% of Downtown Frederick’s shops and restaurants are now open for in-person shopping and dining, and many continue to offer curbside pickup, online shopping and other zero-touch options for supporting their business. Visit the Partnership’s website at downtownfrederick.org/covid-19 to learn more.
Each Friday, Saturday and Sunday Downtown Frederick is transformed with a partial closure of Market Street, allowing for pedestrians and outdoor dining to fill the streets. Throughout the week, you also can find expanded outdoor dining options in parklets (enclosed parking spots filled with dining tables) and pop up outdoor cafes throughout the city.
July First Saturday — Shop Independent: Schedule of Events
Thursday, July 2: Love Local Thursday
Learn the stories behind the businesses you love as the Partnership features short histories of how some of our small business owners got their start.
Friday, July 3: Frederick Made Friday
Look for the release of Shop Independent: Your Guide to Shopping Small, featuring (among many other exciting items) a showcase of items made right here in Frederick which you can buy from downtown retailers.
The Partnership also will release a Drink Local Menu, featuring all of the places you can grab a delicious, Frederick-made drink items to celebrate the 4th of July weekend. Make your reservations early for outdoor dining in Downtown Frederick!
Saturday, July 4: Shop Independent Saturday
Take full advantage of the Shop Independent guide to find something special from a Downtown Frederick retailer.
Shop Independent in Downtown Frederick, either in-person or online. Remember to bring your mask or other face covering for in-person shopping!
Sunday, July 5: Self-Care Sunday
Find a full line-up of virtual and in-person ideas on how to recover from the long weekend featuring inspiration from downtown’s fitness studios, salons and wellness providers.
For the most up-to-date event information, visit the Partnership’s Facebook page at facebook.com/downtownfrederick and join the “First Saturday Online” Facebook event. Local shopping, dining and wellness features will be showcased throughout the 4-day event and people are encouraged to Shop Independent this Independence Day in Downtown Frederick!
Tips for visiting Downtown Frederick:
- Masks, Shirts & Shoes Required in all businesses.
- Maintain physical distancing by keeping 6 ft apart on sidewalks and inside buildings.
- Sanitize or wash your hands often.
- Follow the occupancy limits posted on the door of each business.
- Public restrooms are available in the Church Street (17 E Church St) and Carroll Creek (44 E Patrick St) Public Parking Garages. Restrooms are open from 9AM-10PM daily and cleaned regularly by the City of Frederick following all relevant guidelines.
- Curbside Pickup Zones are available throughout Downtown Frederick, allowing for 10-minutes of free parking in the designated meter zones and 30-minutes of free parking in garages, so customers can quickly park and pick up orders from nearby retailers and restaurants. Parking meter enforcement (with tickets) resumes July 1.
- Market Street (between Patrick Street & Market Space) is closed to vehicular traffic each Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11AM-10PM. Cross streets remain open and parking garages and Curbside Pickup Zones are still accessible.