First Saturday means all day activities, late-night shopping and dining, live music on the street, and a free trolley to guide your way! During August First Saturday, celebrate the visual and performing arts in Downtown Frederick with local artists on the street, public art installation, a special exhibit featuring the work created by local First Saturday artists throughout the year, and more!
Whether you’ve lived here for years, or you’re a first time visitor, First Saturdays are a great time to discover something new about Downtown Frederick.DOWNLOAD FIRST SATURDAY BROCHURE
PARKING & TRAVEL
Looking for a place to stay? Check out downtown accommodations here. You can also find many great places to stay located outside of Downtown Frederick. Visit the Tourism Council of Frederick County’s website for a full list of hotels, bed & breakfasts, vacation rentals, cabins and camping and check out our special First Saturday rates available at participating hotels!View First Saturday Hotel Rates
LIVE MUSIC + ENTERTAINMENT
Each First Saturday, musicians and entertainment can be found all over downtown!
- All day | Downtown Frederick Scavenger Hunt @ SureLocked In Escape Games
- 3-9 pm | Artisinal Hair Company hosts a braid bar @ Brewer’s Alley
- 5-8 pm | Ed Barney performing live music on The Trolley
- 5-8 pm | Acoustic Chicks @ Cowork Frederick
- 5-9 pm | Eric Dubbin @ Potter’s Guild of Frederick
- 6-9 pm | Battle of the Wilderness @ Velvet Lounge
- 6-9 pm | Mark England @ Yaneth Reyes Jewelry LLC
- 6-9 pm | Domenic Cicala @ Pretty Chic Consignment
- 6-9 pm | Dave Koronet @ Hippy Chick Hummus
- 6-9 pm | Hard Swimmin’ Fish @ Ec’clectibles
Each month, find artists painting live scenes inspired by Downtown Frederick. This First Saturday come to Serendipity for the First Saturday Art Show “A Year of First Saturdays – Plein Air in Downtown Frederick.” Paintings from the past year will be on display & available for sale from 5pm-9pm.
- 3-9 pm | Tom Semmes plein air artist @ 13 E Patrick St
- 5-9 pm | First Saturday Art Show @ Serendipity Market & More
- 5-9 pm | Heart-Bombing Activity @ 30 N Market St *while supplies lasts*
- All day | Look for the Blue Chairs throughout downtown, which were decorated by members of the Frederick community
- All day | Mini- Chalk Art Installations on sidewalks throughout downtown
- All day | Temporary Mural Installation @ Time Bomb Tattoos & Curiosities
- All day | Interactive Art Project @ 33 E Patrick St
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS…
- Celebrate the ARTS in Downtown Frederick by taking part in activities throughout the town.
- Cool off with our artists at the opening of Gallery 322’s new group show. “Cool, Cool, Water” 322 N Market St
- Stop by 30 N Market St from 10 am-12 pm and help us decorate the trolley today by creating your own colorful magnet *while supplies lasts
- Watercolor artist, Rachel Alvarez will be at The Muse along with her beautiful paintings of various states. Meet the artist during First Saturday from 5-9pm! 19 N Market St
- From 2-8pm visit Potters’ Guild of Frederick located on 14 S Market for their annual Brain Freeze Ice Cream Social with 100% of proceeds going to the Frederick Rescue Mission! Buy a hand-made ceramic bowl (adults $20, children 12 & under $10) and enjoy ice cream provided by South Mountain Creamery.
- Visit 505 North Gallery & Studio from 5-9pm at 505 N Market St for Doug Moulden’s Acrylic Painting Students’ Annual Exhibition. Raffle for Free Classes at the opening!
- Hop aboard the FREE TROLLEY, which makes its loop through Downtown Frederick from 3-9pm. Pick up locations include 221 N East St, 117 N East St, 220 E Patrick St, 124 N Market St and 428 N Market St.
LOCAL SHOPPING & EVENTS
Downtown businesses each celebrate First Saturday with their own unique events. From in-store tastings and events, to artist and vendor exhibitions or even a downtown scavenger hunt… there’s always something new to explore!
10am-5pm Serendipity Market and More | 14 E Patrick St
We will have FIrst Saturday Art exhibit/sale and Illuminate Frederick Practioners
10am-9pm The Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
Enjoy late night shopping hours. The gallery will be open until 9PM
10am-9pm The Candy Kitchen | 52 N Market St
Everyday at The Candy Kitchen chocolate art is created by hand in a tradition dating back to 1902. Come and enjoy chocolate that is hand dipped with love!
10am-10pm i Made This! Pottery Studio | 10B N East St
Enjoy yourself in our Fun, Friendly, and Relaxing Studio. Lots of Pottery to choose from. Open LATE till 10pm. Food & Drinks Welcome. No Reservation is needed.
11am-9pm Lebherz Oil & Vinegar Emporium | 214 N Market S
Fusti Tap: Just in time for the end of summer, we are premiering our Passion Fruit White Balsamic! We have never offered this before tonight, so come get some before it’s gone!
11-10pm North Market Pop Shop | 241 N Market St
Pop in and try out some of our summer flavors! We have fun summer flavors in from South Mountain Creamery!
12am-4pm Everedy Square and Shab Row | E & Church St
Dog Days on East Street, celebration of our beloved furry friends. 2pm Dog Look Alike Contest and Most Talented Dog Contest, Vendors selling products for dogs, cool off station, and live music
12pm-6pm Alchemy No. 119 | 119 E Patrick St
Come enjoy our beautiful backyard environment and sample hand reflexology and have your tarot cards read while learning about emotional intelligence and mindfulness practices.
12pm-8pm Surelocked In Escape Games | 5 N Market St
Free, family-friendly Scavenger Hunt! Come test your wits and compete for prizes. Good luck!
2pm-3pm Dancing Bear Toys | 15 E Patrick St
Join us for a delightful story time with a special focus on Minh Le’s newest book, Drawn Together.
2pm-3pm Curious Iguana | 12 N Market
Curious Iguana hosts Minh Le – one of our favorite children’s authors
2pm-3:30 Heritage Frederick | 24 E Church St
Families will make their own paper and go on an expedition through downtown Frederick. After making their own compasses, families will follow the clues left by Mason and Dixon. The clues will lead to supplies that Mason and Dixon need for their adventure. $10.00 per child, adults are FREE!
2pm-4pm VINI CULTURE wine bar | 20 N Market St
First Saturday WIne Tasting: “Spanish Wines, 2018 Hot Trend” Join us as we welcome wine expert, Laurence Vuelta, with Aveniu Brands wine, as he pours several Spanish Wines to taste. Come discover for yourself why Spanish wines are the Hot Trend for 2018. $5 tasting fee
2pm-8pm Potters’ Guild of Frederick | 14 S Market
Time for the annual Brain Freeze Ice Cream Social with 100% of proceeds going to the Frederick Rescue Mission! Buy a hand-made ceramic bowl (adults $20, children 12 & under $10) and enjoy ice cream provided by South Mountain Creamery.
3pm-8:30 Artisinal Hair Company | 124 N Market
We will being doing live hair demos and a braid bar first come first serve. We will be featuring Kevin Murphy products and a unbeatable deal on Young Again hair treatment oil: A weightless leave-in treatment oil infused with Immortelle to counteract the oxidization and ageing process. Resulting in intensely conditioned smooth, soft hair.
3pm-9pm Cowork Frederick | 122 E Patrick St
Exhibit by local artist Alison Bur. “Earth” – photographs of natural and urban landscapes – images that examine how formal elements exist in the world around us and how light shapes our perception.
3pm-9pm The Kitchenette | 217 N Market St
Stop by starting at 3PM for a free baked item (while supplies last)!
5pm-5:30 Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ | 15 W Church St
BLESSING OF THE ANIMALS – Service of Blessing. You are invited to bring your dogs, cats, birds, lizards, rabbits, fish, and other pets to be blessed at this special service. May we honor all of God’s creatures and honor, as well, the loving relationship between humans and animals.
5pm-8pm Frederick Natural Health | 15 N Court St #101
We will be offering community acupuncture for $25 per person.
5pm-8pm Long & Foster Retail Office | 244 N Market St
The Premier Group will be celebrating National IPA Day with a sampling of locally brewed IPA’s. Must be 21+ to consume alcohol.
5pm-9pm 505 North Gallery & Studio | 505 N Market St
Doug Moulden’s Acrylic Painting Students’ Annual Exhibition. Raffle for Free Classes at the opening!! Students of varied experience are represented with a variety of subjects that reflect each artist’s unique perspective.
5pm-9pm The Muse | 19 N Market St
Rachel Alvarez has created beautiful watercolor state illustrations for all 50 states. Our favorite is the Maryland state featuring our own Carroll Creek! Meet the artist during First Saturday from 5-9pm!
5pm-9pm NOMA Gallery | 437 N Market St
Please join us for a second opening reception for “Our Thoughts Run in Circles”, a summer group show, highlighting the creative talent and original insights of NOMA artists in this exciting exhibition. This show runs through August 26th.
5pm-9pm Gallery 322 | 322 N Market St
Cool off with our artists at the opening of a new group show. “Cool, Cool, Water”
6pm-7pm Weinberg Center for the Arts | 20 W Patrick St
Stop by for FREE tours of the historic Weinberg Center and discover the beautiful Art Deco architectural details, learn about local theatrical lore, and access backstage areas normally off-limits to the public.
6pm-9pm Pretty Chic Consignment | 52 S Market St
Sip and Shop at Pretty Chic. Wine and Cheese will be served.
8:30pm Ghost Tours of Historic Frederick | 124 N Market St
Journey through Frederick’s Gruesome and Bloody Past. Nearly 300 Years of War, Executions and Revenge. True Documented Stories of the “Paranormal” with Maryland’s Oldest Operating Ghost Tour!
While you’re here, take advantage of the free trolley! The trolley runs every 15 minutes from 3pm – 9pm and has five convenient stops throughout downtown. It’s completely free! Just hop on and ride.
- Pistarro’s | 221 N East St
- Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
- Spin the Bottle Wine Company | 220 E Patrick St
- Brewer’s Alley | 121 N Market St
- Bravura Arts and Framing | 428 N Market St