First Saturday means all day activities, late-night shopping and dining, live music on the street, and a free trolley to guide your way! During May First Saturday, celebrate the arrival of spring with downtown’s Mayfest celebration.
Whether you’ve lived here for years, or you’re a first time visitor, First Saturdays are a great time to discover something new about Downtown Frederick. Thank you to our sponsors, Audi Frederick and Orangetheory Fitness for making May First Saturday possible.
DOWNLOAD FIRST SATURDAY BROCHURE
PARKING & TRAVEL
Looking for a place to stay? Check out downtown accommodations here. You can also find many great places to stay located outside of Downtown Frederick. VIsit the Tourism Council of Frederick County’s website for a full list of hotels, bed & breakfasts, vacation rentals, cabins and camping.
LIVE MUSIC + ENTERTAINMENT
Enjoy all-day live music at the following locations.
- 10am-12pm | Mark England @ The Candy Kitchen (52 N Market St)
- 11am-4pm | Outdoor Games @ The Carroll Creek Trellis
- 11am | TJ High School Drumline @ Velvet Lounge (203 N Market St)
- 11am-2pm | Benjamin Sherman @ Crisafulli’s Cheese Shop (8 E 2nd St)
- 12-3pm | Fractal Cat @ The Trail House (17 S Market St)
- 2-5pm | Mike Schirf @ Everedy Square and Shab Row (corner of Church & East St)
- 2-4pm | Triopia @ Alchemy No. 119 (119 E Patrick St)
- 3-6pm | Ed Barney @ The Pasta Palette (121 N Market St)
- 4pm | Gottaswing Swing Dance Lessons @ The Carroll Creek Trellis
- 5-7pm | Brian Derek Burrows @ Cowork Frederick (122 E Patrick St)
- 5-8pm | Eric Dubbin @ Potters’ Guild of Frederick (14 S Market St)
- 6-9pm | Murphy’s Shambles @ The Carroll Creek Trellis
- 6-9pm | Domenic Cicala @ Starbucks (104 N Market St)
- 6-9pm | Hard Swimmin’ Fish @ Ec’clectibles (13 E Patrick St)
Each month, find artists painting live scenes inspired by Downtown Frederick. Paintings will be on display & available for sale during our First Saturday Art Show in August 2018!
- Tom Ritchie @ the corner of 2nd & Market St from 3-9pm.
MAYFEST CHALK CONTEST
From 10am-12pm artists will be filling the sidewalks with beautiful chalk drawings! Come early to see the artists in action, or check out their artwork all day long as you explore downtown. Judging of artwork will take place from 12-2pm.
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS…
Celebrate the arrival of spring with these fun Mayfest-inspired activities throughout Downtown Frederick.
- Colorful balloons and umbrellas fill downtown all day!
- Get your shopping done early this year using our handy guide to Mother’s Day Gifts in Downtown Frederick!
- Follow the yellow brick road to Audi Frederick, who will be helping visitors leave their mark on downtown with a public chalk project at 30 N Market St.
- Celebrate Mother Earth by planting a seed with the Frederick News-Post, 10am-2pm at 18 E Patrick St. Take your seed home to plant in the garden!
- Stop by to visit with Orangetheory Fitness at the Carroll Creek Trellis and see how you can get fit for summer!
- Make your own art at Everedy Square & Shab Row’s Interactive Art Festival! They’ll be set up at the corner of East & Church St from 12-4pm.
- Get in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo with our margarita round-up from downtown restaurants.
- Explore downtown with Surelocked In Escape Games’ First Saturday Scavenger Hunt! Get a Clue Sheet at 5 N Market St between 12-8pm. Free & fun for all ages!
- Visit New Spire Arts from 3-5pm for children’s workshops (little kids to middle school age) in Music, Playwriting, and Circus! Plus Yoga workshops for teens and adults.
- Hop aboard the FREE TROLLEY, which makes its loop through Downtown Frederick from 3-9pm. Pick up locations include 221 N East St, 117 N East St, 220 E Patrick St, 121 N Market St and 428 N Market St.
While you’re here, take advantage of the free trolley! The trolley runs every 15 minutes from 3pm – 9pm and has five convenient stops throughout downtown. It’s completely free! Just hop on and ride.
- Pistarro’s | 221 N East St
- Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
- Spin the Bottle Wine Company | 220 E Patrick St
- Brewer’s Alley | 121 N Market St
- Bravura Arts and Framing | 428 N Market St
MORE EVENTS AROUND DOWNTOWN
9am-5pm The Temple | 22 W Church St
Stop by all day to check out our Paul Mitchell product line.
10am-4pm Heritage Frederick | 24 E Church St
We’re opening two new exhibits and you’re invited to the opening day!
10am-9pm Ec’clectibles | 13 E Patrick St
April showers brought MAY FLOWERS to Ec’clectibles! Stop by to get your touch of spring!
10am-2pm Frederick News-Post | 18 E Patrick St
Celebrate Mother Earth! We’ll be selling passes to the upcoming Mother Earth News Fair and kids will have an opportunity to plant a seed in a newspaper pot to take home and plant in the garden.
10-10pm i made this! Pottery Studio | 10B N East St
Visit the studio and get a flower to fill out a very special spring bouquet! Studio open late till 10pm and food and drinks are welcome.
10:30-9pm Posh Boutique | 35 N Market St
Sip and shop, while supplies last. Plus we have a special spring gift card contest!
11am-9pm Lebherz Oil & Vinegar Emporium | 214 N Market St
It’s Cinco de Mayo and you need LIME! Come try our brand new feature—perfect for summer. Get it before it’s gone!
11am-6pm Pearl Clothing | 230 E Patrick St
“The Gentle Raven” artisan trunk show. Locally made soaps and cleansers to enhance your home, clothing, body and soul.
11am-6pm Hippy Chick Hummus | 237 N Market St
Taste fresh, local draft kombucha and sample our lemon-fresh spring salads!
11:30am-4pm Pedego Frederick | 125 S Carroll St
Introducing Pedego tours, rentals and bicycle sales to the Frederick area!
12pm-8pm Surelocked In Escape Games | 5 N Market St
Compete for prizes in our monthly Scavenger Hunt! Get a Clue Sheet at 5 N Market St. It’s free and fun for all ages!
12pm-5pm GWC Artwork Gallery | 328 E Patrick St
Come meet our featured artist, Debra Hitchcock. She will be available to discuss her artwork and what motivates her.
12pm-4pm Everedy Square & Shab Row | East & Church Streets
Celebrate spring by making a piece of art during our Interactive Art Festival! Maybe make a gift for Mom?
2pm-5pm The Delaplaine Arts Center | 40 S Carroll St
First Saturday Artist Talk with National Juried Exhibit juror Laura Amussen (2-3pm), followed by an artist reception and Creative Outlet (3-5pm).
2pm-4pm VINI CULTURE wine bar & cafe | 20 N Market St
Wines from Lanterna Distributers, Inc. a family owned and operated company, with wine expert Nathan Foster. $5 per person and must be 21+.
3pm-8pm The Kitchenette | 217 N Market St
Try your hand at Kitchenette Plinko for a chance to win a prize. Minimum purchase required, while supplies last.
3pm-9pm Cowork Frederick | 122 E Patrick St
Join us for our Frederick Artists Night, featuring “Tole,” an art exhibit by Katie Giganti with bright abstract paintings on metal objects and live music by Brian Derek Burrows.
3pm-5pm New Spire Arts | 115 E Church St
Offering FREE music, circus, playwriting & yoga workshops for the family!
3pm-9pm Potters’ Guild of Frederick County | 14 S Market St
Celebrate Mom with brightly colored pottery by Renu Bhat, May’s featured artist, and potter’s wheel demonstration by Lucinda Leaman from 4-8pm.
4pm-7pm North Market Pop Shop | 241 N Market St
Come try local creamery ice cream at the Pop Shop!
5pm-9pm NOMA Gallery | 437 N Market St
Please join our opening reception for Thomas Sterner’s new work, “BODY PARTS,” featuring wood carvings that express themes of nature and human existence.
5pm-9pm The Muse | 19 N Market St
“Through My Lens” exhibit by Marlene Sclar, featuring photos that hold the beautiful pictures she carries in the personal photo album stored in her mind.
5pm-8pm RE/MAX Plus | 10 S Market St
Say hello with a sample of two different margaritas! While supplies last, must be 21+.
5pm-9pm Gallery East | 4 W 5th St
Exhibition of drawings, mock-ups and steel sculptures by sculptor Adam Curtis, created during the process of making the Herald-Mail Sculpture.
8pm-10:30 Weinberg Center for the Arts | 20 W Patrick St
Neil Berg’s 50 Years of Rock and Roll! With a cast of Broadway headliners and rock ‘n roll icons, this star-studded show pays tribute to five decades of legends.
8:15pm Ghost Tours of Historic Frederick | 124 N Market St
This tour takes you where no other tour dares to go! A nighttime excursion through “MARYLAND’S MOST HAUNTED CITY!”