First Saturday means all day activities, late-night shopping and dining, live music on the street, and a free trolley to guide your way! During May First Saturday, celebrate the arrival of spring with downtown’s Mayfest celebration.
Whether you’ve lived here for years, or you’re a first time visitor, First Saturdays are a great time to discover something new about Downtown Frederick.
Download First Saturday Brochure Here
PARKING & TRAVEL
Looking for a place to stay? Check out downtown accommodations here. You can also find many great places to stay located outside of Downtown Frederick. Visit the Tourism Council of Frederick County’s website for a full list of hotels, bed & breakfasts, vacation rentals, cabins and camping.
LIVE MUSIC + ENTERTAINMENT
Enjoy live musicians performing at the following locations.
- 10am-1pm | Mike Schirf @ Yaneth Reyes
- 2-4pm | Ed Barney @ Serendipity Market & More
- 4-8pm | Eric French @ Velvet Lounge
- 5-8pm | James Dronenburg @ Gallery 322
- 5-9pm | Eric Dubbin @ Potter’s Guild of Frederick
- 6-9pm | Hard Swimmin’ Fish @ Ec’clectibles
Each month, find artists painting live scenes inspired by Downtown Frederick. Paintings will be on display & available for sale during our First Saturday Art Show in August 2019!
- This month, find artists Paula Rubin-Wexler and Karen Levine painting downtown between 3:30-6:30pm. They will be located on E Church St, between Maxwell Alley and Carroll Street.
MAYFEST CHALK CONTEST
From 10am-12pm artists will be filling the sidewalks with beautiful chalk drawings! Come early to see the artists in action, or check out their artwork all day long as you explore downtown. Judging of artwork will take place from 12-2pm.
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS…
Celebrate the arrival of spring with these fun Mayfest-inspired activities throughout Downtown Frederick.
- Get your shopping done early this year using our handy guide to Mother’s Day Gifts in Downtown Frederick!
- You’ll know it’s Mayfest the moment you enter Downtown Frederick, with colorful balloons lining the streets and sidewalks!
- The Mayfest Chalk Artist Competition! From 10am-12pm artists will be filling the sidewalks with beautiful chalk drawings. Come early to see the artists in action, or check out their work all day long as you explore downtown. Judging of artwork will take place from 12-2pm.
- Our colorful umbrella art installation is back! Help us welcome spring and wish away “April showers” by enjoying these colorful parasol umbrellas decorated by students at SJRCS, downtown business owners, local artists, and community members. So wherever you are walking around downtown, stop and look up!
- Keep an eye out for our wandering circus performers from 11AM to 2PM along Market Street!
- “May the Fourth Be With You!” Did you know that May 4 is Star Wars Day? Find costumed characters roaming downtown from 12-3PM with a special Meet & Greet at 124 N Market St from 11am-12pm.
- The family-friendly First Saturday Scavenger Hunt with Surelocked In Escape Games! Stop by 5 N Market St to pick up your clue sheet any time after 12PM (noon). Just turn it back in by 6PM for your chance at a prize basket from participating locations!
- Make your own art at Everedy Square & Shab Row’s Interactive Art Festival! They’ll be set up at the corner of East & Church St from 12-4pm.
- Visit New Spire Arts from 3-5pm for children’s workshops (little kids to middle school age) in Music, Playwriting, and Circus! Plus Yoga workshops for teens and adults.
- It’s time to dance! The YMCA Dance Company will be putting on a show at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater from 1:30-2PM.
- Hop aboard the FREE TROLLEY, which makes its loop through Downtown Frederick from 3-9PM.
- Starting at 8PM, Fire Dancers will be performing at Carroll Creek Amphitheater!
While you’re here, take advantage of the free trolley! The trolley runs every 15 minutes from 3pm – 9pm and has five convenient stops throughout downtown. It’s completely free! Just hop on and ride. Download a trolley route map here.
- Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
- Delaplaine Arts Center | 40 S Carroll St
- Patrick Street Stop | 33 E Patrick St
- Brewer’s Alley | 124 N Market St
- Bravura Arts and Framing | 428 N Market St
LOCAL SHOPPING & EVENTS
Downtown businesses each celebrate the holidays with their own unique events. From in-store tastings and events, to artist and vendor exhibitions or even a downtown scavenger hunt… there’s always something new to explore!
10am-3pm Frederick Book Arts Center | 217 W Patrick St
Join us for the 10th annual Print Day in May, celebrating the theme of Sci-Fi and Fantasy!
10am-4pm Heritage Frederick | 24 E Church St
Heritage Frederick is opening 2 new exhibits, and you’re invited to the opening day!
10am-9pm Ec’clectibles | 13 E Patrick St
April showers brought MAY FLOWERS to Ec’clectibles!Stop by to get your touch of spring!
10am-10pm I Made This! Pottery Studio | 10B N East St
Visit the Studio and get a Flower to add to your Bouquet. Studio Open LATE till 10pm. Food and Drinks are Welcome.
10:30am-9pm Posh Boutique| 35 N Market St
Sip & Shop with us, new discounts are available and you get one ticket for every $50 spent to participate in a $100 Gift Card
11am-6pm Pearl Boutique | East and Church St
“The Gentle Raven” Artisan Trunk Show including locally made, soaps and cleansers to enhance your home, clothing, body and soul.
11am-6pm Hippy Chick Hummus | 237 N Market St
Taste fresh, local draft kombucha and sample our lemon-fresh spring salads from 11-6pm!!
11am-9pm Lebherz Oil & Vinegar Emporium| 214 N Market St
It’s Cinco de Mayo & you need LIME! Come try our brand-new Fresh Lime White Balsamic- perfect for summer. Get it before it’s gone!
12pm-4pm Everedy Square and Shab Row| 125 S Carroll St
Celebrate Spring by making a piece of art! Make a gift for MOM.
12-5pm GWC Artwork Gallery | 328 E Patrick St
Come meet our featured artist Debra Hitchcock. She will be available to discuss her artwork and what motivates her.
12pm-8pm Surelocked In Escape Games | 5 N Market St
Compete for prizes in our monthly scavenger hunt! Come by our 5 N Market St location for a clue sheet. Free and fun for all ages!
2pm-4pm VINI CULTURE wine bar & cafe | 20 N Market St
Wines from Lanterna Distributers, Inc. a family owned and operated company, with wine expert Nathan Foster. $5 per person and must be 21+.
2pm-5pm The Delaplaine Arts Center | 40 S Carroll St
First Saturday Artist Talk with National Juried Exhibit juror Laura Amussen (2-3pm), followed by an artist reception and Creative Outlet (3-5pm).
2pm-7pm Pedego Frederick | 125 S Carroll St
Introducing Pedego tours, rentals, and bicycle sales to the Frederick area!
3pm-5pm New Spire Arts | 115 E Church St
Offering FREE music, circus, playwriting & yoga workshops for the family!
3pm-8pm The Kitchenette | 217 N Market St
Try your hand at Kitchenette Plinko for a chance to win a prize. Minimum purchase required, while supplies last.
3pm-9pm Cowork Frederick | 122 E Patrick St
Join us for Frederick Artist’s Night. We will feature “Tole”, an art exhibit by Katie Giganti. Live music by Brian Derek Burrows.
3pm-9pm Potters’ Guild of Frederick County | 14 S Market St
Celebrate Mom with brightly colored pottery by Renu Bhat, May’s featured artist, and potter’s wheel demonstration by Lucinda Leaman from 4-8pm.
4pm-7pm North Market Pop Shop | 241 N Market St
Come try local creamery ice cream at the Pop Shop!
5pm-8pm RE/MAX Plus | 10 S Market St
Say hello with a sample of two different margaritas! While supplies last, must be 21+.
5pm-9pm NOMA Gallery | 437 N Market St
Please join our opening reception for Thomas Sterner’s new wood carvings expressing themes of nature and human existence.
5pm-9pm The Muse | 19 N Market St
“Through My Lens” exhibit by Marlene Sclar, featuring photos that hold the beautiful pictures she carries in the personal photo album stored in her mind.
5pm-9pm Gallery East | 4 W 5th St
Exhibition of drawings, mock-ups and steel sculptures by sculptor Adam Curtis, created during the process of making the Herald-Mail Sculpture.
8pm-10:30 Weinberg Center for the Arts | 20 W Patrick St
Neil Berg’s 50 Years of Rock and Roll! With a cast of Broadway headliners and rock ‘n roll icons, this star-studded show pays tribute to five decades of legends.
8:15pm Ghost Tours of Historic Frederick | 124 N Market St
This tour takes you where no other tour dares to go! A nighttime excursion through “MARYLAND’S MOST HAUNTED CITY!”
For additional information about Downtown Frederick, stop by the First Saturday Kiosk located at the corner of Market Street and Church Street, each First Saturday from 3-9pm.