Each winter, the trees that line Market and Patrick Streets are wrapped in and aglow with lights to celebrate Downtown Frederick and the holiday season.
The lights are a special tradition begun by the City of Frederick and continued by Downtown Frederick Partnership and provide a wonderful, warm ambiance while exploring the many businesses that call Downtown Frederick home.
In 2018, Downtown Frederick Partnership took on the holiday lights project from the City of Frederick. Each year, the organization and the City of Frederick have partnered to bring residents, visitors and businesses the magic that is the holiday lights. In 2018, the Partnership hired Choice Plantings to install the holiday lights and continues to work with them today. Choice Plantings is a certified woman owned company located in Maryland and has more than 25 years of experience in interior and exterior plant services and holiday decoration.
Thank you to the many partners who have helped bring the project to fruition and continue to support the holiday lights: The City of Frederick, Visit Frederick, Delaplaine Foundation/Bettie Delaplaine Memorial Grant
Support the Holiday Lights in Downtown Frederick.Make a Donation
Checks may be mailed to the Community Foundation at 312 East Church Street, Frederick, Maryland, 21701 with “Holiday Lights Fund” noted in the memo line.
Sponsor a Tree for the 2021/2022 season!
Supporters have the opportunity to sponsor a tree for the 2021/2022 season for $500. The benefits of this highly visible opportunity are listed below:
- Sponsor name displayed on tree between November 2021 – March 2022
- Name listed below on website
- Listed in press release at conclusion of season thanking tree sponsors
If you would like to sponsor a tree, please complete the form below and email to email@example.com or mail to Downtown Frederick Partnership, 19 E Church St, Frederick, MD 21701.
More info here: Holiday Lights Sponsorship
Thank you to our 2021/2022 tree sponsors:
- Anderabi Enterprises
- Bon Bon & The No Tones
- Angela & Chris Chase
- Colonial Jewelers
- Ms Krista & Mr BJ Davisson
- DISTRICT Arts
- Firestone’s Culinary Tavern
- Dr Kimberly Firth
- Frederick Mutual Insurance
- Joe & Troyce Gatewood
- Grove Management LLC
- Nate & Kate Harris
- Carmen Hernandez & Manuel Casiano
- Ms Sharon Jacko, In Memory of Jan Lape, the light of many
- Gary & Georgeann Jackson, Jackson Properties, LLC
- Gashouse Gallery
- Kaslick & Prete LLC
- Karlys & Tom “Klynch”
- Law of Lena A. Clark, LLC
- Natalie & Harry Louden, In Honor of Claire, Della, Milly & Avery
- Magpie Market
- Fred & Janet Manning, Manning Media Inc
- Mary Fran & Jack McShea
- Moore Wealth
- Jim & Tracy Racheff
- Glen & Jeanne Singer
- The Bedwell Family
- The Best Gal Pals Ever
- The Laughlin Family
- The Newmister Family
- The Sherman Family
- The Stull Family
- The TEMPLE, A Paul Mitchell School
- Visitation Hotel Frederick
- The Will Group @ RS Will Wealth Management
- Melanie & David Williamson, In Honor of Iris Sprague
- Woodsboro Bank
Thank you to the following supporters who have made a donation to the Holiday Lights Project in 2021/2022:
- Ms Renee Bourassa
- Ms Cara Breeden
- Mr & Mrs John Chandler
- Mr Bruce & Mrs Carol D’Agostino
- Ms Susan Hardey
- Mr & Mrs Marvin Harrison
- Mr Johan Lerudijk
- Keeney & Basford P.A. Funeral Home
- Mr & Mrs Christopher Kohl
- Mr Michael Paskowsky & Ms Jane Talarico, In Memory of Nicholas Talarico Paskowsky
- Dr & Mrs John Vitarello, In memory of Mila Virginia Makovec
Many thanks to the generous residents and businesses who are helping power trees in 2021/2022:
- Ms Tiziana Cavinato & Mr Scott Durum
- Mr Michael Chapline
- Ms Maisie & Mr Jan Dokonal
- Ms Cindy & Mr Dan Dwyer
- Mr Chris Grooms & Ms Jackie Clarke
- Hootch & Banter
- Ms Jane & Mr Geary Hufstedler
- Ms Katherine Hunter
- Mr Nate Jones
- Ms Gina & Mr Brad Palmer
- Mr Mike Simons
- Ms Lynn Silvey & Mr Paul Minchoff
Why the change to the holiday lights?
After receiving feedback about the holiday lights, staff from the Tourism Council of Frederick County and the Partnership researched and visited other city lighting techniques and identified a style that would work well in Downtown Frederick.
What do the funds raised cover?
The total project cost (approximately $71,000) covers labor for installation and removal of the holiday lights and GFI outlet protectors.
How much did the holiday lights cost the City of Frederick previously?
The City of Frederick has previously spent approximately $100,000 annually on holiday lighting in Downtown Frederick. Of this, $15,000 spent was cash and the remaining $85,000 covered staff costs to install and remove the lights.
How were the locations of the lights identified?
The Partnership worked with Choice Plantings to identify the trees that could be easily lit using the power throughout Downtown Frederick. The Partnership also followed the previous lighting path that the City of Frederick used when lighting trees.
How can I support the project?
Donations to the project can be made through the fund that was created at The Community Foundation of Frederick County. Donations can be made online or by mailing a check to: The Community Foundation of Frederick County, 312 E Church St, Frederick, MD 21701, with “Holiday Lights Fund” noted in the memo line.