EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS
This is a full-time position heading the Development & Communications Department.
Housed in the 100-year-old Mountain City Mill on the banks of Carroll Creek in historic downtown Frederick, The Delaplaine Arts Center has been serving the community since 1986. This vibrantly active nonprofit organization welcomes more than 86,000 visitors each year to the 40,000 square foot flagship of the arts.
We are seeking a Director of Development & Communications to join our team! This senior staff position will report directly to the CEO and oversee a departmental staff of two, working closely with them to administer the fundraising, marketing, and advertising needs of the Delaplaine. You will have the pleasure of working with a dedicated team who all believe that “Everyone Deserves Art.”
Overview of Development Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an annual plan for the acquisition of monetary and in-kind support from individuals, foundations, and corporations to support the annual campaign, the planned giving program, and the endowment fund of the Delaplaine
- Foster relationships with current and potential funders
- Oversee planning and administration for fundraising
- Act as point-person for the annual fundraising gala and support the Gala Committee
- Research, write, and manage grants
- Oversee production and distribution of direct mail appeals
- Oversee membership program
- Prepare donor acknowledgement letters and donor lists, keeping all accurate and up-to-date
- Prepare newsletters, invitations, announcements, etc. as needed for donor relations
Overview of Communication Responsibilities:
- Ensure the organization’s programs are marketed in a manner that is consistent with the brand, budget and target audiences
- Oversees quarterly catalog/magazine production; acts as liaison with designer, editor and printer
- Write copy for the quarterly magazine as needed
- Act as proofreader, copywriter, copy editor for advertisements, brochures, etc. as needed
- Oversee creation and distribution of all press releases
- Plan the direction of our social media marketing effort
- Oversee content of website, ensuring that information remains current and is easily accessible
Qualifications required (if you want an interview):
- Minimum of 5 years professional development experience in the nonprofits arts or nonprofit education sector
- Minimum 3 years of experience in supervising staff
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Proven experience writing grants
- Proven ability to manage budgets and track finances
- Extremely organized
- Knowledge of a variety of visual arts media
- Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Deadline and detail-oriented
We will give extra consideration to candidates who:
- Have experience in graphic design
- Have experience in reaching diverse audiences
- Can demonstrate an awareness of the importance of cultural competency
- Have familiarity with WordPress and/or FileMaker
- Have experience managing social media and other online platforms
- Can demonstrate a true understanding that we can’t fulfill our mission and serve our community unless we run a successful business.
- Can demonstrate an enthusiastic support of our vision that Everyone Deserves Art!
Starting salary: $60,000, plus medical benefits (after three months) and parking stipend.
Send resume and cover letter (in a single PDF document) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until the right candidate is found.
The Delaplaine Arts Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.