Adult Literacy Program Manager
July 2023: We are hiring for this position!
The Literacy Council of Frederick County is seeking a candidate who is interested in joining a growing team of nonprofit professional staff and volunteers who are dedicated to supporting adult basic education and literacy programs for a diverse community of adult learners and their families in Frederick County.
Position Type: Full-time
Benefits: Employer-provided health insurance with employer covering 50% of monthly premium, Simple IRA retirement plan with 3% employer match, paid time off and sick leave, federal holidays, flexible work schedule.
The Adult Literacy Program Manager (Program Manager) reports to the Executive Director and provides oversight to all literacy programs provided by the Literacy Council of Frederick County, including:
- One-to-one/small group tutoring (English as a Second Language/Basic Literacy)
- Community Classes
- Parent Literacy
- Workplace Literacy
- Manage employees and volunteer staff, including coordinators and class instructors
- Oversee student outreach for all programs
- Oversee student intake & assessment process
- Manage community classes
- Manage volunteer recruitment
- Oversee tutor training program, including workshops, information sessions and professional development
- Develop and strengthen relationships with partner organizations in priority communities to facilitate literacy pathways (referrals), identifying available programs and locations
- Establish new, and maintain existing relationships with regional literacy organizations and other organizations that serve our student population
- Conduct outreach to expand program opportunities, including workplace, especially high need areas
- Develop and oversee remote classroom locations/satellite facilities
- Participate in community outreach events
- Oversee reporting and data management
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, education or related field preferred. Graduate degree a plus, TESOL certification a plus
- Minimum of five years program management and supervisory experience required, experience working with nonprofit organizations preferred
- Experience teaching and/or managing English as a Second Language education programs and working with adults
- Experience working with or teaching English language learners Experience in working with and managing volunteers.
- Excellent communications skills including oral and written English communications skills, including the ability to listen, write and speak clearly. Ability to work positively and effectively with students from diverse language, cultural, and educational backgrounds. Spanish language proficiency a plus.
- Strong organizational skills – ability to self-manage, work independently and as a member of a team of highly-motivated co-workers; ability to manage multiple projects and to meet strict deadlines.
- Familiarization with CASAS adult literacy assessments (CASAS certification a plus).
- High energy, “can do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership, partnership-building and collaborative skills required.
Technical Skills: Excellent computer skills required, including Microsoft Office applications: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, Sharepoint, database experience, LACES experience a plus. Must have own transportation and a valid driver’s license. Vehicle insurance must meet minimum requirements.
References: Must be able to provide references relevant to experience.
You will join a collaborative team of colleagues who display a high degree of professionalism, intercultural sensitivity, a belief in lifelong learning, and a strong commitment to help lift lives through literacy programs.
The Literacy Council of Frederick County is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.
For more information, contact Laurie Fisher, Executive Director, Literacy Council of Frederick County. (301) 600-2066 or email@example.com. Interested applicants, please email a cover letter and resume to Laurie Fisher.