First Saturday means all day activities, late-night shopping and dining, live music on the street, and a free trolley to guide your way! During October First Saturday, celebrate local food and beverage.
Whether you’ve lived here for years, or you’re a first time visitor, First Saturdays are a great time to discover something new about Downtown Frederick. Thank you to our partners at Frederick County Public Libraries, the C. Burr Artz Trust and Hood College for presenting October First Saturday, and to Navy Federal Credit Union, the Common Market Co-Op and Flying Dog Brewery for supporting!
FLYING DOG BEER GARDEN
- Join us in the Carroll Creek Amphitheater from 4-7PM for a family-friendly beer garden with Flying Dog Brewery, featuring a Dog Halloween Costume Contest at 6PM.
- All ages are welcome (must be 21+ with valid ID to drink) and entry is free. $5 beer inside.
- The Dog Costume Contest will award prizes for a Big Dog Winner, Small Dog Winner, Owner’s Look Alike and Spookiest Pup. Prizes are a $20 Downtown Frederick Gift Card for each winning doggo and a Flying Dog swag bag for the overall winner.
PARKING & TRAVEL
Staying the whole weekend? Plamondon Hospitality Partners and Downtown Frederick Partnership have teamed up to offer 15% off your stay the first weekend of every month. Choose from six fantastic hotels all with a special price that’s 15% off rack rate. Extend your visit and do it in comfort!View First Saturday Hotel Rates
LIVE MUSIC + ENTERTAINMENT
Enjoy all-day live music at throughout downtown at the following locations:
- 5-8pm | Mike Schirf @ Posh Boutique, 35 N Market St
- 6-9pm | Eric Dubbin @ The Potters’ Guild of Frederick, 14 S Market St
- 6-9pm | Eric French @ Velvet Lounge, 203 N Market St
- 6-9pm | Domenic Cicala @ Hometown Harvest Kitchen, 50 Citizen’s Way
- 6-9pm | Hard Swimmin’ Fish @ Ec’clectibles, 13 E Patrick St
- 6-9pm | The Elmer Lord Band @ Wander Hemp Company, 27 S Market St
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS…
- Stop by 30 N Market St from 6-9PM for some special family-friendly programming provided by Frederick County Public Libraries! 6:30-8:30PM > Magic from Joel DeWyer and 6-9PM > Spooky Sensory Boxes and Fortune Readings
- Also at 30 N Market join us for fun activities with this month’s sponsors Common Market Co-Op (11am-6pm) and Navy Federal Credit Union (1pm-6pm).
- The family-friendly First Saturday Scavenger Hunt with Surelocked In Escape Games! Stop by 5 N Market St to pick up your clue sheet any time between noon-6pm. Just turn it back in by 9PM for your chance at the big prize!
- Feel inspired by artist exhibits, meet & greets and hands-on activities at many downtown businesses. More info on back.
- WFRE is doing a live broadcast from 2-4pm at Brewer’s Alley, 124 N Market St.
- Flying Dog Brewery is hosting a special First Saturday Beer Garden in the Carroll Creek Amphitheater from 4-7PM, featuring an extra spooky Dog Costume Contest at 6PM! Admission is free and the event is family friendly (must be 21+ with valid ID to drink).
- Free S’mores with Frederick County Public Libraries from 6-9PM at 110 E Patrick St (in front of the FCPL Administrative Office).
- Hop aboard the FREE TROLLEY, which makes its loop through Downtown Frederick from 3-9PM. Pick up locations include 117 N East St, 40 S Carroll St, 33 E Patrick St, 124 N Market St and 428 N Market St.
LOCAL SHOPPING & EVENTS
Downtown businesses each celebrate First Saturday with their own unique events. From in-store tastings and events, to artist and vendor exhibitions or even a downtown scavenger hunt… there’s always something new to explore!
|10am-5pm||Colonial Jewelers • 1 S Market St|
|We are celebrating our 73rd year in business this October. Every year we celebrate by offering a store-wide sale, so now is the time to take advantage and #getitdowntown!|
|10am-9pm||Ec’clectibles • 13 E Patrick Street|
|Join us as we reveal our newest addition – an iconic American Made product founded as a way to revitalize a city.|
|10am-9pm||Posh Boutique LLC • 35 N Market St|
|Sip and Shop as you kiss our summer collection goodbye!|
|10am-10pm||I Made This! Pottery Studio • 10-b N East St|
|Lots of Pottery Shapes to Paint, including Halloween!! Enjoy our Fun, Friendly, and Relaxing Studio. Food and Drinks are Welcome. No Reservations needed. Open LATE, till 10pm.|
|11am-3pm||PopUp Frederick • 59 S Carroll St|
|Get it downtown at Sky Stage, handmade and local! This pop up features 10+ artists, makers & bakers – with a mix of paintings, flowers, pottery, jewelry, home goods, glassware, baked goods and more! Co-sponsored by PopUp Frederick & Frederick Arts Council.|
|11am-6pm||Hippy Chick Hummus • 59 S Carroll St|
|Sampling our seasonal spicy pumpkin hummus as well as our extra dark chocolate hummus, plus lots of locally grown fall lunch specials available and the patio is open all day!|
|11am-6:30pm||VISIONS extraordinary eyewear, etc • 16 N Market St|
|Celebrate OctoberFest all day with special prices on all German frames!|
|11am-8pm||Lebherz Oil & Vinegar Emporium • 214 N Market St|
|Here for a very short time, enjoy a flash-back to our Oregano White Balsamic Vinegar! The last of summer’s oregano bumper crop in a bottle – you will L.O.V.E. it!|
|11am-9pm||Potters’ Guild of Frederick • 14 S Market St|
|Check out our Happy Harvest exhibit celebrating all things fall from ceramic pumpkins and gourds to serving dishes for the upcoming holidays.|
|11am-9pm||Eastside Artists’ Gallery • 313 E Patrick St|
|“From the Western Front: Nationalism and War,” paintings by Johan Lowie & Doug Moulden. A series on WWI – specifically, the war as it took place in Belgium. Joined by The Poets of Slant Light.|
|11am-10pm||North Market Pop Shop • 241 N Market St|
|We will be sampling our seasonal favorites pumpkin ice cream and cider!|
|12pm-4pm||Everedy Square and Shab Row • East & Church Streets|
|Health & Wellness Fair featuring over 15 health and wellness professionals onsite. Learn more about your health options.|
|12pm-4pm||Relish Decor • 38 E Patrick St|
|Create a DIY trick-or-treat tote! Paint a spooky tote for all your Halloween treats for just $7. We’ll even have glow-in-the-dark paint! All ages welcome.|
|12pm-6pm||Surelocked In Escape Games • 5 N Market St|
|Come one, come all to our free monthly Scavenger Hunt! Test your wits and compete for prizes while exploring Downtown Frederick! Clue Sheets can be picked up from 12 noon – 6 PM. Happy hunting!|
|12pm-9pm||Hometown Harvest Kitchen • 50 Citizen’s Way|
|It’s a Pumpkin Takeover! Pumpkin Boozy Shakes, Pumpkin Sundae, Pumpkin Ice Cream, Pumpkin Food Dishes & More!|
|12pm-9pm||DISTRICT Arts • 15 N Market St|
|DISTRICT Arts, in conjunction with The Bodice Project, is hosting a breast cancer awareness sculptural exhibit during Breast Cancer Awareness.|
|1pm-5pm||Embark Skate Shop • 238-B N Market St|
|We’re partnering with local skateboarder/artist Joeskull for an afternoon of Live Spray Paint Art Demonstrations, including “Space Art” and grip tape demonstrations.|
|2pm-6pm||Creme de la Creme • 207 N Market St|
|Meet Jordan from Jaybirds Jewelry and Gems, who creates beautiful locally made jewelry and gem stones. Wine and refreshments will be served.|
|3pm-4:30pm||National Museum of Civil War Medicine • 48 E Patrick St|
|Join our historians for the last First Saturday walking tour of 2019. “Death & Destruction” focuses on the worst aspects of the city’s experience during the Civil War. Visitors will walk the same streets as Union and Confederate soldiers and hear the words of those who witnessed the chaos as the Civil War came crashing into the city. The program begins in the museum lobby and is “pay-what-you-please.” Register ahead of time to hold your spot, as space is limited.|
|3pm-5pm||Dancing Bear Toys & Gifts • 15 E Patrick St|
|Come create with the Bear! We’ll Make a fun fall craft for kids of all ages. Supplies are limited to the first 50 participants.|
|4pm-9pm||United Steam Fire Engine Co #3 • 79 S Market St|
|October is Fire Prevention month and the theme is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!” Visit the fire house to learn the small but important actions you can take to keep yourself and those around you safe.|
|5pm-7pm||Firestone’s Market • 113 N Market St|
|Help us welcome Kim MacDonald, the owner and pastry chef behind Bakehouse Cakes & Pastries, and maker of all the delicious cookies, brownies, muffins and more that we sell here at the Market. Kim will be passing out samples of some of our favorite seasonal goodies from Bakehouse!|
|5pm-9pm||The Muse • 19 N Market St|
|Our 8th annual Lend a Hand community art auction comes to a close. Meet the artists, learn about our chosen charity, The Buddy Project, and place your final bids! Here is your chance to bid on amazing original art while helping out your community. 100% of all sales from the canvases and finished art pieces will be donated to The Buddy Project!|
|5pm-9pm||NOMA Gallary • 437 N Market St|
|Opening reception for “Liminal Spaces & Mind’s Eye,” feat. new mixed media works by Andrea McCluskey and iPhone photos by W.T. Remington. Work on view through October.|
|5pm-9pm||Gallery 322 • 322 N Market St|
|Homer Yost welcomes visitors to the opening of his solo show, “New Sculptures and Drawings.”|
|7:30pm||Ghost Tours of Historic Frederick • 124 N Market St|
|Journey through Frederick’s Gruesome & Bloody Past. True Documented Stories of the Paranormal with “Maryland’s Oldest Operating Ghost Tour!”|
While you’re here, take advantage of the free trolley! The trolley runs every 15 minutes from 3pm – 9pm and has five convenient stops throughout downtown. It’s completely free! Just hop on and ride. Download a trolley route map here.
- Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
- Delaplaine Arts Center | 40 S Carroll St
- Patrick Street Stop | 33 E Patrick St
- Brewer’s Alley | 124 N Market St
- Bravura Arts and Framing | 428 N Market St
For additional information about Downtown Frederick, stop by the First Saturday Kiosk located at the corner of Market Street and Church Street, each First Saturday from 3-9pm.